Friday, September 23, 2016

On "Love and war" - 2

Following is an email on a little sentimental post 2 days ago - "Love and War" -here

"I browse your blog frequently but am not very good at leaving messages. But your post on war and love made me send you this email, as it touched a nerve. I was born in a very wealthy memon family in Karachi. We were business tycoons. Afterward, I decided to join public service in Pakistan. It was a conventional and unwritten rule that everything is fair in business and diplomacy. There is no friend and no enemy. You only guard your interests. As a public officer in foreign service, I had to deal at my level when the Siachen issue came. Later, I could not take corruption and political pressure in public service. I retired and moved to Canada, and I learned that human emotions play the most vital role in war, love, business, diplomacy, or any other aspect of life. Humans can go up to any extent to sustain their power, ego, wealth, anger, or pleasure. Unfortunately, things get uglier as you go high in the hierarchy. You may have heard of Qudratullah Shahab, a well-decorated and most well-known Pakistani public servant of his time. His assessment was: "His whole bureaucracy was nothing but the smell of gutter and the toilet." I agree with you. Low-level creatures are those who think everything is fair in love and war. Unfortunately, they never did and don't even intend to teach ethics in our classrooms."

*

No comments: