Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife is a newly released film and based on a best selling novel. Plot is very unique. It's a story of a girl who falls in love at a very young tender age with a man who time travel unpredictably at different stages of her life. It's a conceptual movie about immortality of love.

I saw this movie with understanding that true love comes to your heart no matter how unbelievable its for other people. When you are in love - time, space, death and other life events - doesn't matter. You always live with the perception of other person beyond his actual physical growth and existence. I think, its a worth watching movie.

From novel:

"Our life together in this too-small apartment is punctuated by Henry's small absences. Sometimes he disappears unobtrusively; I might be walking from the kitchen into the hall and find a pile of clothing on the floor. I might get out of bed in the morning and find the shower running and no one in it. Sometimes it's frightening. I am working in my studio one afternoon when I hear someone moaning outside my door; when I open it I find Henry on his hands and knees, naked, in the hall, bleeding heavily from his head. He opens his eyes, sees me, and vanishes. Sometimes I wake up in the night and Henry is gone. In the morning he will tell me where he's been, the way other husbands might tell their wives a dream they had: "I was in the Selzer Library in the dark, in 1989." Or: "I was chased by a German shepherd across somebody's backyard and had to climb a tree." Or: "I was standing in the rain near my parents' apartment, listening to my mother sing." I am waiting for Henry to tell me that he has seen me as a child, but so far this hasn't happened. When I was a child I looked forward to seeing Henry. Every visit was an event. Now every absence is a nonevent, a subtraction, an adventure I will hear about when my adventurer materializes at my feet, bleeding or whistling, smiling or shaking. Now I am afraid when he is gone.."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

loll...i shall not read :D going to go watch the movie tonight. Me and my friends all read the novel so its a girls night out thing. I shall come back and read what you wrote...do not want to spoil the movie for myself or anything...just wanted to say YES YESss interestinggg idea :d

mystic said...

Please write your input after watching movie. I will be curious...

beyond said...

i will not watch the movie.i loved the book and in my experience,the cinema can never be equal to written word.but i agree.the book is very nice.do you read a lot?

mystic-soul said...

Yes I agree...Movie is no where near the impact of novel itself but atleast its worth visualizing the concept/idea.

Do I read a lot?- I use to.

Internet ne nikamma ker diya ghalib
werna aadmi hum bhi the bare kaam ke

Anonymous said...

I...Loved it! haha..Soo sorry for the late reply. I cry a lot when it comes to movies or even books. Movies are easier to cry in because you see their own emotions...books depends upon how you take the idea.

Granted they changed around a lot of things..*glad they took out the part of him amuptating his own feet* But it was sighhhh brillianT! One part I must commend them on was how they depicted her losing her baby...it was heart wrenching...And then him preparing his daughter for his upcoming death..sigh..

And ofcourse the picteresque locations...a photographers best friend :d..the hand print was brilliant..its like life was just there..

I liked...thinking to read the book again.

But yes...would you recommend some novels?

mystic said...

Please explain - when you said: "the hand print was brilliant.."..I didn't understand completely....

Oh gosh...there are so many novels - must reads - but if you ask me one....

In english - my fav is "A Fine Balance" (Rihnton Mistry)

In urdu: - "Raja Gidh" (Banu Dudsia)

mystic said...

And oh yes!!! - the wasy her miscarriage was shown....was "real real" thing...absolutely brilliant!!

Anonymous said...

Rememberr...When he sees himself dying? Sub gathered hote hain around his body and he is outside on the back porch...and he puts his hand on the sliding door..and when he removes it you see the hand print fading away.

A few scenes later you see him inside having jumped back to the present from another time and he is on the floor and you look at the screen door from the inside and his hand print is fading away.

Sighhh..it was chillinglyyy beautiful :D

A fine balance I have tried to start but never got to it. I'll just have to buy it because borrowing does no good. He was a grad from my uni :D

Raja gidh... Lol...I still remember trying to read it on my own..my urdu is not that great I am slow..but I remember reading aloud to ammi and there was that part about the guy sitting in the back row and he could see the girl ahead of him..and her *cough* strapss...it was my first time reading something soo sooo..in an urdu book :D laughed my head off.

mystic said...

Yes now I recall that scene, yes..it should be labelled as "chilling". Actually, if you have read the novel, each scene is worth watching....

"A fine balance" is a difficult read. It took me 3-4 months to finish it but was worthed.

Its OK, if you can't read Raja Gidh - let me suggest you reading a short, easy but important book ... Leo Tolstoy's "death of Ivan ilvich"

Anonymous said...

...reading...right now.

mystic said...

which one?