Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Do the dead greet the dying?

Following article caught my eye as I wondered about same phenomenon for years. When my father (here) died he provided the similar vision of his mother (my dadi).

"Throughout my years of working with the dying and the bereaved, I have noticed commonly shared experiences that remain beyond our ability to explain and fully understand. The first are visions.

As the dying see less of this world, some people appear to begin looking into the world to come. It’s not unusual for the dying to have visions, often of someone who has already passed on. Your loved one may tell you that his deceased father visited him last night, or your loved one might speak to his mom as if she were there in the room at that time..."

Read full article of David Kessler here.  (David Kessler is a leading and well-known expert on dying process after Elisabeth Kübler-Ross)

2 comments:

bsc said...

I was not surprised by this Kessler comment
I have similar stories that I have heard. What inrigues me however is how this event is interpreted by the 'dying' person. A Muslim says the same thing or may be more.
What I infer from that is that there is some kind of "continuam" in this life and that which begins at death. Here is why I started seeing the meaning of the word we use in Urdu "Intiqal" which means "transfer" or migration type of meaning. Some one transferred to the other world.
I also saw some kind of "continuity" of happenings which forms the basis of "Ruya-e-Sadiqa" or true dreams. This is a fascinating subject and I am only making a brief reference here.
Did I make sense?

mystic said...

Interesting...I liked this concept of word "Intiqal" !!

I strongly believe me "Ruya-e-Sadiqa"