Thursday, March 03, 2022

Highroad

It was my second-year residency, and I was getting very home-sick. I requested two weeks off to celebrate Eid with my parents and friends. I had many Muslim colleagues who wanted to go back home also. I applied early and was granted vacation. I was single, but many other residents were newly married and wanted their firstborns to be seen by grandparents in their home countries, but they were late in obtaining vacation. One day chief resident called me in his office and requested to know if I could retract my request. On that day, he said something which stays with me till today: "Taking the high road in controversial situations will always go a long way for your inner peace and consciousness. Give a shot once, and addiction of inner peace will surround you forever."

Since that day, this one word has saved many sleepless nights for me in any argumentive life situation.

*

No comments: