Thursday, May 05, 2011

On 'Negative Pacifism'

"Those were rainy days. As I was walking on muddy path while trying to save myself from bushes and dirt on both sides, I saw a black cow coming from other side. Her eyes were bright and horns were long and sharp. I thought in my heart that I should not get afraid from a cow. Cow is a very passive animal and have even read in books that cow is like a mother. But that was just my wish. As I saw her coming towards me I gave her way but rather than going straight she changed her direction towards me and before I do anything, she attacked my chest with her sharp horns and I fall all flat in dirt over the bushes. After completely throwing me down, like she achieved her goal, she went forward on muddy path.

That day I had a big experience of life. Sign of non-violence (pacifism) may bring violence itself. and - what is visible from outside not necessary to be same from inside. So self protection is a rule which should never be forgotten."

(Translated from a short story "Giraft" of Iqbal Hasan Azad. He is a Urdu teacher in one small town call Jamalpur in Bihar, India. He is even hard to find on google but I found his writings swift and of par excellence. I wish if he had hailed from a bigger city. Hopefully will write a full post on him. He deserves all praise.)

No comments: