Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Mayor of Casterbridge - 2

One email on the previous post, "The Mayor of Casterbridge" (here)


I have been reading your blog and musings but have yet to comment. On your review of 'The Mayor of Casterbridge,' I felt to say something. I was mesmerized by Michael Henchard's character because of my strong will father's addiction to alcohol. 


I tried to post a comment twice, but the comment didn't go through; I am sending an email to clarify 2 points.


1. Your review leaves the impression that Donald Farfrae was a clever, manipulative man. I'm afraid I have to disagree. I think he was just too naive or, let's say, a shallow fellow who failed to understand the depth of Michael Henchard's personality. He didn't mean harm, but due to his young, ambitious nature, he could not realize the ills he brought into Michael Henchard's life. We learned from him that the depth of character is different from living a regular superficial life!


2. Michael Henchard's character is all about intensity. He is a good man but of intense emotions. He loves, hates, and acts with intensity. Intensity is a double edge sword. Intensity brings massive depth in character and the strength to do the right things irrespective of consequences. Still, it rattles and rocks own and many lives around—many geniuses, as we know in history.


Portraying the complex interaction of these two characters from everyday life in conjunction with three different women, like, innocent Elizabeth-Jane, womanly as a woman can be Lucetta, and motherly Susan, makes this novel a classic.



Ashaar
UK

*

No comments: