Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Receipts

 It was almost 20 years ago. I was on my way in the evening rush hour to a far suburb hospital for an educational session for the incoming evening shift nurses. I stopped by on the highway to get gas. I put gas in my car after using a credit card. Everything went smoothly. As I retook the road, after 5 minutes, I saw a police car coming behind me with flashing lights. I thought I had been stopped for speeding (enough in my driving history). But it was due to a complaint about my car from the gas station attendant that I took gas and ran away without paying the money. I insisted that I paid via credit card but didn't take the receipt. To make story short, I requested the cop to meet me back at the same gas station and sort it out. After running the camera, pulling the cash register history, and calling American Express, it was confirmed that I paid for my gas. 

All these could have been saved if I had taken the receipt. I learned my lesson. 

Again and again, I have been reminded that though trivial, it is vital to take receipt - no matter what.


No comments: