Thursday, August 12, 2010

Raj Kapoor or Dilip Kumar?

Bollywood remained divided on the claim that in the immediate post-independence era - who was the better actor? - Dilip or Raj Kapoor. For a long time, I remained convinced that Raj Kapoor was better than Dilip, but as I continue to mature in life, I can see why Dilip is heralded as a bigger actor. See the following clip - Dilip has 'control' that all other actors lack in Bollywood, including Raj Kapoor, Amitabh, or today's SRK (he is dying to get it). The only person who comes close in today's Bollywood for this quality is Ajay Devgan (though not very good looking he survived on this quality).

 

4 comments:

bsc said...

These actors belong to my era so I am going to express myself.
No Mystic, I agree Raj was a good actor but he had a 'nasty' habit of too much Dramaaiy andaz, that you can clearly see in this clip from my fav movie "andaz" Dilip has shown much more natural expression in all his roles. I always considered him the best. I consider Amitabh also good almost 90% Dilip but other younger ones I do not know

sameer said...

What about Naseerudin Shah or Irfan Khan?

mystic-soul said...

Actually I was talking more about "heroes". Naseeruddin Shah, Irfan Khan, Pankaj Kapoor, Atul Kulkarni and others have displaced better or should I say unbelievable artistic control in body movements and dialogue delivery - but they are on 'character side' acting...

beyond said...

i agree.i absolutely agree.i think the problem with most of the actors is that they tend to act"act" instead of "natural".