Friday, November 08, 2013

A note on 'Animal Farm'

First time I read George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' in intermediate as an assignment from our English teacher. That age of 16 was not very sweet as our heads were confused and angry over the modus operandi of this universe. We debated the book even outside the classroom on the beautiful lawn and stairs of National College, Karachi. We laughed, we vented, and we shook our heads. It was such a great work depicting the idiosyncrasy of both capitalism and communism. It was a commentary on the hidden evil nature of humans.


A week ago, I picked up that book again at O'hare airport. A smile came to my face. It brought back tons of memories. I reread it. I am more at peace with this world; I learned two lessons from that book.


1. In various roles and capacities in our lives - as a parent or as a teacher or as a spouse, brother, sister, friend, boss, etc., etc. - we have more or less some power over someone or something. If we don't keep our heads in check - we quickly start abusing our role. 'Animal Farm' teaches us how the human mind can easily and promptly succumb to power!


2. Humans, for their means, can stoop to any level, even if they have to trade, dine and wine with low-level savages and animals. In Urdu, let me convey my sentiments: Insaan bara Kamina hai. Ye apne matlab ke liye kisi bhi janwar ya shaitan se dosti ker sakta hai.


*

Note: It is a very small novel which you can finish quickly. Free link here

No comments: