Sunday, December 01, 2019

Peace at Death

(I strongly believe that stories of most remarkable human beings were never written. This blog is all about looking for such human beings).

I am lucky to be working in a profession where I meet human beings of unusual capacity every day. One of the patients was recently made hospice due to last stage metastatic lung cancer. When the last time I went to see him in the room, his daughter was holding his hand and was crying. He was laughing and trying to joke with his daughter. (He hailed from Lahore-Pakistan, and I did speak to him Urdu).

"Ye ro rahi hai, aap hans rahe hain. Sir! ye kiya majra hai?" (as I tried to lighten the situation).

He replied: "Ajeeb baat hai, maut mujhe aa rahi hai aur ro ye rahi hai. Wese marte huwe insaan ke liye is se ziyada sukoon ki baat aur kiya ho gi - ke aap ki aulad aap ke saath hai, aur aap ke jaane per udas bhi hai!" He smiled and added: "Ji, marta huwa insaan bhi khud garz ho sakta hai"!

All mighty may rest his soul.

2 comments:

bsc said...

Interesting It reminds me of my patient Autry (of Autryville, a nearby town) who was laughing with his family and said
I wish I would know who killed J R (some character on a soap opera and those days that was a catchy phrase more as an ad for the program.
That was 2 days before his death (Brain tumor)
His family told me
We Autries face death smiling as our tradition

Zindagi-ki-diary said...

Interesting! I learned something..