Monday, October 27, 2008

Confabulation

Few days ago, while I was traveling in an airplane, I noticed my co-passenger had a traveling magazine which I didn’t have in front pocket of my seat. I asked to have it for few minutes as I am always intrigued with natural lakes of USA. I looked at the relevant article but instead of giving back, I put magazine in my front pocket without realizing that it was not airlines’ but his magazine. He asked for his magazine back and I embarrassedly returned it.

Bachpun main bhi aksar aesa huwa ke, main ne zid pakar li ke ye khilona ya flaN flaN kitab meri hai. Amma ne ya bhai ne samjhaya tub kahin samjh aaya ke ye meri cheez nahi.

Zindagi main bohat si cheezon ke baare main hame ye aehtmal rehta hai ke woh cheez hamari hai magar ziyada tur cheezain bus kuch der ke liye hi hamare paas mustaa’r (on lease) hoti hain. Is aehsas ko – jis main ke ye tameez kerna mushkil ho jaaye – ke kaunsi cheez hamari hai aur kaunsi nahi – ya jis main ‘reality’ aur ‘fantasy’ – khalat malat ho jaaye- ko confabulation kehte hain.

Confabulation is defined as the confusion of imagination with memory.

Khalil Jibran apni kitab “The Prophet” main likhta hai ke asal main aulad bhi hamari nahi hoti. Hamare bachhe hamare nahi, waqt ke bachhe hote hain.

Abhi kuch hi dinon pehle main ne Nazeer Akbarabadi pe aik post likhi thi. Zaalim kiya sach likh gaya hai:

Sab thaT para reh jaawe ga jub laad chalega banjara

7 comments:

Better World said...

Salaam,

The last line mentioned here has awakened my past memories.

It is my favourite line from Quartaline Hyder's AAG KA DARIYA, the legendary epic.

Thanks
Irfan Khan

Anonymous said...

AAG KA DARYA was probably one of the greatest novel ever written in modern world literature.

Anonymous said...

very true.very true

bsc said...

Yes Nazeer Akberabadi was not given the position amongst the poets that he deserved.
I enjoyed that post Mystic.
But you know that khalat malat is more a confusion rather than confabulation. Please dont mind my saying so as it is not "criticism" (you could still call it confabulation) and it is true that it is related more to "imagination" of memory. You were "confusing" it to be yours but that was not imagination and it was not a defect of your memory that you were "filling' it with your imagination, which is what I would call confabulation.

Anonymous said...

Interesting...

Thankyou for clarification..I am glad, a neurologist is out there to help me out.

Anonymous said...

A nice post. I believe nothing really is ours except our deeds. We are all from Him alone and will return to Him sooner or later.

Anonymous said...

sirf 'amaal' saath jaate hain...