Friday, November 27, 2009

Giving to Homeless

As we came out of a desi restaurant, we were confronted by a homeless person. I usually have spare change on side for this purpose. My cousin is very opposed in giving money to homeless people standing at roadside as they usually go and spend everything on beer and drugs. I have other view. I have 3 reasons to give 'change' to them.

1. I want my kids to learn the value of giving without going in too much of logic.

2. If I am blessed excessively - more than I deserve - what right I have to rationalize, stereotype or make assumptions before giving to someone. I will give with good intention (niyyat). Its not my job to justify his act of using money.

3. If he will not find money soon to get his beer he will 'mug' someone in desparation. My 2 quarters may keep evil at least at non-violent level.

Make sense?

2 comments:

Saima said...

You make sense on all 3 points!
When I was in Pakistan last year for the first time after 23 years, I felt disappointed at many of my relatives attitude towards the beggars on the streets. Admittedly, the knocking on the car windows and the following around (especially when I was with my American husband) was disturbing; but I felt a constant need to give my "change", where the locals (my family) discouraged giving. Having lived and grown up in the States, I have always rolled down my window to give to the homeless--I have taught my children that giving charity randomly or with a plan are equally valuable, as they are an opportunity presented to us by Allah for us to recognize, and act upon. Who are we to become accountants of blessings and the lack of blessings? Wealth is ours only so we understand sharing with those who are in need. Right?

mystic said...

I am glad I am not alone!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts