Monday, December 03, 2018

Marriage and Adat

One of my friends constantly "bitch" about his married life. One day in frustration, I said" "Than why don't you leave her."  There was a pause of few minutes on text, and then he replied: "Shayed mujhe uski adat ho gai hai," followed by this famous lyrics of a legendary musical dramatist Alan Jay Lerner.


Damn, damn, damn, damn
I've grown accustomed to her face

She almost makes the day begin
I've grown accustomed to the tune
She whistles night and noon
Her smiles, her frowns
Her ups, her downs

Are second nature to me now
Like breathing out and breathing in
I was serenely independent and content before we met
Surely I could always be that way again

And yet
I've grown accustomed to her looks
Accustomed to her voice
Accustomed to her face



3 comments:

bsc said...

aik purana latife suna hoga
aik saheb (faqir) as mihallay men roze jatay thay awr wahan k laRkay unjain cheRtay thay
aik roze wo jb us mohallay say guzray to koie laRka na aaya
bolay
kahan mer gaiay yeh bacchay saray

Aadat
yes but if you come to think of it there is a lot of aadat in marriage whether you like it or not

bsc said...

Actually I ended up writing my own blog on this aadat subject without giving you the credit but surely it arose from your blog so I thought I will just mention it here and ask for apology

mystic-soul said...

Uncle, I left a message on your post.

I think 'Habituation' is a very appropriate word