Thursday, March 21, 2019

Voices in Schizophrenia

At one point in my career and back home after MBBS, I practiced Family Medicine. It was a different experience. I saw many patients who had active schizophrenia. I read about it a lot and am still not fully cleared; instead, I am baffled - that is why these patients always hear these voices as completely as strangers. One patient told me his voice is like a transmitter talking and always starts a conversation with the words "start initiative." Some patients reported hearing the bell before someone started talking. Some descriptions, discussions, and reports were mind-boggling and intellectual for me. Some of these patients were no non-sense, highly literate people.

Sometimes I wonder, is this a disease, or do people communicate to some alien world we can't see? 

2 comments:

bsc said...

I am visiting you after a long time
This is an interesting observation I have worked in Psychiatry for a year before I started Neurology and so saw a lot of patients with this disorder
But the observation you are making did not occur to me
I look at the problem more from the brain dysfunction only sort of more organic approach

mystic-soul said...

Uncle, it always boggled my mind.