Friday, March 27, 2009

Aik Jhoot

Zindagi main aksar insaan ko mushkil faisle kerne parte hain - Aur kubhi kubhi jaante boojhte jhoot bhi bolna parta hai. Mere aese hi aik faisle se - aese hi aik jhoot se - main ne apna aik behtreen dost kho diya - faisla aap khud kijye! 

"I met Masud on the very first day of Medical School. Since then, we have spent the next nine years together every day. We did lectures, exams, practicals, and all fun (masti) together. After finishing my MBBS, I came to the USA. I obtained a residency spot, but it was still seven months before I started. I decided to go back to Karachi for those months. Masud left for the USA before I arrived in Karachi.


While I was still in Karachi, enjoying each moment of my life's most precious last "off work" time, one day, I received a frantic call from Masud's father to come and see him. When I visited him, there was a massive "palpable mass" in his abdomen. I knew from that moment - he had some cancer. It turned out to be a renal cell carcinoma with distant metastasis (stage IV).


His parents requested me - not to disclose this to Masud on my return to the USA, as he may abandon his quest for residency. I obliged. Masud asked me on my return about his parents, and I flatly lied - ke sab log theek hain.


His father died a few months later. Masud is now a practicing oncologist in the USA but has not talked to me in years. Sometimes I miss him too much.....He always is the first person to wish me Happy Birthday. I haven't celebrated my birthday in the last 15 years".


Kubhi kubhi kamina bohat yaad aata hai...saali ye sauhbat-e-barham!

*

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

sigh : )

he should forgive you. You should try and get in touch with him.

mystic said...

What you think, I didn't try?...phone, email, voice mails, apologies, cards, texts, messages via mutual friends

Aik waqt aata hai, aap chor dete hain

He thinks, I broke his trust......??????/

sobia said...

just go to his place directly, he wont be able to resist pouring his emotions on u n once he s done wid it u can explain things to him

mystic said...

WinMW - I thought about it....probably need to gain courage...

Anonymous said...

I heard in a drama that was on tv a few days ago where a guy says to his younger brother " tumne sahi faisla ghalat waqt par liya"


So maybe you just had to give him time to heal : ). inshaAllah things shall be fine if you try again. You still pain for his friendship so you shall not let it go.

In a similiar situation myself. and you are right...trying soo many times insaan thuk jata hai. I am at the tiring point and if I do not hear back some reassuring words soon...I shall just fade away from it. The different is that my friendship shall be a different one if it ever reforms..because oddly enough the idea which had developed from it became more beautiful...and something i am holding onto more then the reality of the situation.

Anonymous said...

Leave him alone.
(Gum ko sahne main bhi kudrat ne maza Rakah hai)

mystic said...

Both annonymous...I heard you guys..

Thanks

bsc said...

I was away, so I am late. Yes you should contact him for I think he now knows anyway why you said what you said.

guy alone said...

sad... dats life

mystic said...

I will give another shot (once my heart says so I guess)...

Let see

usman said...

To be very true this is too much I can understand the situation is death but well you did what you thought was right at that moment plus it was request from his parent's side so don't blame yourself for this, be very clear and tell him.

If he understands that would be great if he doesn't leave him alone and don't blame yourself. Death is as natural as our life and it is a part we can't ignore but leaving the caring people and taking them so negatively should not be ignored. 9 years doesn't matter its understanding what matters he should not have behaved that way at the first place.

mystic said...

I don't blame myself. It just sometime hurts.

Over time I think we drifted away too....

Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience with my best friend, whom I had known since childhood. After 20 years or so, one day, he just stopped talking. I tried asking him about what went wrong, but all he could say was 'nothing' After giving it a shot number of times, I decided to let it go.
We are still in touch (if a casual hello-hi counts), but then that's it. That 'yaari' is long gone. I miss that but I think that's the way it is.