Saturday, June 20, 2009

Aik lakh rupe

(I wanted to write this post for a while but hold back as every time I think of it, shiver runs through my spine. It also tells how people perceive situation and moments differently - This will be both in english and urdu words as uttered by characters)


I think it was 1995. After starting residency, I was visiting Pakistan first time. Abdul was one of my childhood friend. He asked me to lend him 1 lac rupees for one year. I knew Abdul very well. They were 5 brothers and sisters and he was the bread winner for family with his father. He secretly invested all savings of family (intended for sisters' marriages) in stock market and lost every penny. He appeared very dishevel and depress. I had few money saved during residency. I lended him 1 lac rupees...

Every time I visited Pakistan - he had issues going in life and he always asked for one more year. Over years, I forgot about that money. 13 years passed...one lac rupees even lost its value in US dollars. Last year while I was visiting Pakistan, I was passing through the area of Abdul's residence. Without any intention, I entered his apartment complex and knocked on his door. By now Abdul was married and had 2 kids.

He was more surprised than happy to see me. Though, he welcomed me to his home.."pareshani us ke chehre se saaf ayaN thi"....His wife (bhabhi) came and asked for "chai". She was a gracious lady.

As I realized, what's making him 'jhijhak', I decided to leave after salam-dua and without any mention of money. As I stand up to leave, Abdul closed the door of his living room.

Abdul: "Main janta hun tumhare aik lakh rupe barsoN se mere paas udhar hain magar kiya karun meri zaroortoN ne kubhi mujhe itne paise jama hi na hone diye"...

He hold my hand and start crying. I was speechless. An adult man of 2 growing kids was crying like a kid. As I remained speechless, he thought I am angry or thinking that he is just acting up a drama ... Probably, he wanted me to say something but I just could not find words..

Abdul: "Sach poocho to main tumhare aik lakh rupe to kubhi wapas na ker sakooN ga magar..."

woh thori der khamosh raha aur jumla mukammal kiya...

"...magar tum chaho to aaj ki raat meri jagah meri biwi ke saath reh sakte ho"

Ye jumla sun ker meri ooper ki saans ooper aur neeche ki saans neeche reh gai...

I just walked out of his house and could not breath properly till I walked 2 miles before hailing taxi...and till today as I said it send shiver through my spine...

Ye gurbat bari kamini cheez hai

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all due respect, I value your all posts and I read them every now and than, but this, I will not believe, sorry, I do not want to believe it.

mystic said...

I wish, I would not have gone through this episode of life....

I went through 1000 explanations/rationalizations beyond this event....but I just wrote factual account...

No one is force to believe.

bsc said...

Allah Allah. But he was truthful that he will never be able to pay. it would have been better for him to ask you what can he do, but the idea he came up with was indeed evrything shattering.
How could he? "main apni izzat aur sub kuchh baich sakta hoon" may have been better
May be I too cant figure out. magar jo alfaz zaban say nikal jatay hain unka asar hamesha kay liyay rh jata hay.
Mystic tum nay taRpa diya

mystic said...

Dear Uncle,

I think when human mind get confuse, it can do or say anything out of blue or very bizarre. Everyday we hear common - normal -people go on runamock and killing themselves or their own very dear family.

I think, somewhere in human mind, there is a very fine thin red line - when you cross that - anything can be done by humand mind...

beyond said...

i think it just shows how silly,foolish and weak your friend was.i have to say although its harsh that he was quite baygairat.he lost the money supposedly kept for his sisters to stock market than he is offering his poor wife in return for his loan.pathetic human being.really.

mystic said...

Dear Beyound,

I will not get very judgemental but its true that under pressure - he didn't make good choices - which is very unforyunate in the sense that it broke trust of very loved ones.