Saturday, February 27, 2010

7 uncles, liver failure and 'Mayyat ki izzat'

On Medicine, Cultural barriers and Ethics.

"My last uncle (mamu) died today. I had 7 uncles (Mamus). My first uncle died at age of 42 when I was 7 years old and than later one by one each died every 5 to 7 years in line. One of my uncle was computer engineer and he moved to USA years ago. He was diagnosed of liver failure when he died. Later in Pakistan 3 uncles died of same diagnosis. None were alcoholic and interestingly all workup turned negative on youngest uncle but he died today with same diagnosis. He complained of fever, headache and not feeling well for few days. Thats it! On his death I suggested taking his liver out and send to Pathology. If we get diagnosis we may save a whole lot of people in next generation. For me it was a no brainer but elders in family refused on the ground that "Bhai hum mayyat ki behurmati nahi kerwa sakte" .

5 comments:

bsc said...

Ethically that dictum of mayyat ki behurmati is not applicable because so many other people in the family and other human beings would benefit. The second reason is that removing liver or part of it or biopsy do not constitute 'behurmati' in the strict sense of the word.

mystic said...

That what my take too but I guess people culturally have their own different views..

Anonymous said...

Were your uncles obese? Because a friend of mine was doing a research on that kind of condition you described

mystic said...

These were not my uncles but a friend described to me. And I have seen them. No they were not obese!!

mao said...

Very interesting. Unless you are the direct kids...I guess you can't control what decisions take place.