Thursday, November 17, 2011

At Deathbed - 2

On my previous post, Aasem Bakhshi has views contrary to mine. He prefer to be alone at deathbed due to reason that he does not want loved ones to suffer due to his own death. Actually, his views coincide with Great Leo Tolstoy (who in real life, before death walked out of house but collapsed at nearby train station). Let me quote a paragraph from last page of his story "The Death of Ivan Ilyich".


"At that very moment Ivan Ilych fell through and caught sight of the light, and it was revealed to him that though his life had not been what it should have been, this could still be rectified. He asked himself, "What *is* the right thing?" and grew still, listening. Then he felt that someone was kissing his hand. He opened his eyes, looked at his son, and felt sorry for him. His wife camp up to him and he glanced at her. She was gazing at him open-mouthed, with undried tears on her nose and cheek and a despairing look on her face. He felt sorry for her too.


"Yes, I am making them wretched," he thought. "They are sorry, but it will be better for them when I die." He wished to say this but had not the strength to utter it. "Besides, why speak? I must act," he thought. with a look at his wife he indicated his son and said: "Take him away...sorry for him...sorry for you too...." He tried to add, "Forgive me," but said "Forego" and waved his hand, knowing that He whose understanding mattered would understand.


And suddenly it grew clear to him that what had been oppressing him and would not leave his was all dropping away at once from two sides, from ten sides, and from all sides. He was sorry for them, he must act so as not to hurt them: release them and free himself from these sufferings. "How good and how simple!" he thought. "And the pain?" he asked himself. "What has become of it? Where are you, pain?" He turned his attention to it.

3 comments:

Aasem Bakhshi said...

It was indeed a touching masterpiece. I haven't read anything from Tolstoy except War and Peace many years ago. Anna Karenina is still waiting in my bookshelf since ages.

Reading the ending sentiments gave me more wayward thoughts: can the people besides one's deathbed be taken as a distraction or as if they are imposing themselves to delay an otherwise surreal (albeit painful) experience?

mystic-soul said...

Aasem, interesting thought to carry little further. I will say, it depends on person to person. I guess in my case, (if I imagine myself there) it would be a delay!!!

Maut ka aik din muayyan hai
neend kiun raat bhar nahi aati

bsc said...

I agree with Aasem.
I would like to make connection with the next world under the guidance of my Creator Having family around is not for farewell but if there is something you wish to say, bequeath etc.
Maudoodi has given some interesting thoughts why there has to be another world