Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Mayor of Casterbridge - 3

(An email. The previous 2 posts on 'The Mayor Of Casterbridge" are here and here )

I was unable to comment on your post - FYI

I read both posts on "The Mayor of Casterbridge." I understand every person has his own view on such so-called classic novels. I respect the opinions expressed in both previous posts in this regard. But, I think Thomas Hardy, throughout the novel, is trying to develop a portrait of a man who did something very wrong in his life. Now as a man of Conscience, he is trying, as best he can, to pay the price of his wrongful act. The novel's climax comes when he fails to win his stepdaughter ("I loved you late, but I loved you well"). I have read the last letter of Michael Henchard many times and always wind up with tears in my eyes:

 'That Elizabeth-Jane Farfrae be not told of my death, or made to grieve on account of me. 

 that I be not bury'd in consecrated ground. 
that no sexton be asked to toll the bell. 
that nobody is wished to see my dead body. 
that no mourners walk behind me at my funeral. 
that no flours be planted on my grave.
that no man remember me. 
To this I put my name. 

 'Michael Henchard.' 

 It is sad. It's tragic - and probably many good men live and die like this!

(call me whatever!)

*

No comments: