Saturday, August 30, 2014

Dilemma of woman in 'love triangle'

Many (and many) love stories have been written as 'love triangles.' It is interesting how sometimes things happen in succession, bringing the same message in life. While I was re-reading Charles Dicken's 'A Tale of 2 Cities', I watched Woody Allen's "Magic in the Moonlight" (here) - and had two episodes in my own life of people I know - where women were caught in the dilemma of choosing between 2 men!


In love triangles, I found one man is usually a handsome, logical character but of dry nature- while the other man carries the trait of juicy 'bad boy.' It is undoubtedly the truth, though, beyond comprehension, that woman's heart usually feels attracted to a bad boy, but her brain and social pressure pull her to the other.


No wonder in Woody Allen's movie, the girl finally chooses the 'bad boy.' And, for me, alcoholic Sydney Carton, at last, remained the hero of Charles Dickens, not Charles Darnay.


(Critics think that Charles Dickens portrayed himself as Charles Darnay and Sydney Carton as two shades of his own. And there was an 18-year-old girl in his real-life whom he wrote as Lucie in the novel).

No comments: