Thursday, September 07, 2017

The most important part of the body

(lately, It is getting hard to blog my own thoughts due to time constraint but indeed I am getting a lot of stuff which are better than my own writings. Another beautiful story I recieved)

My Father used to ask me what the most important part of the body is. Through the years I would take a guess at what I thought was the correct Answer.-

When I was younger, I thought sound was very important to us as humans, so I said, "My ears, Daddy." He said, "No. Many people are deaf. But you keep thinking about it and I will ask you again soon."

Several years passed before he asked me again. Since making my first attempt, I had contemplated the correct answer. So this time I told him, "Daddy, sight is very important to everybody, so it must be our eyes." He looked at me and told me, "You are learning fast, but the answer is not correct because there are many people who are blind."

Stumped again, I continued my quest for knowledge and over the years, Father asked me a couple more times and always his answer was, "No. But you are getting smarter every year, my child."

Then one year, my mother died. Everybody was hurt. Everybody was crying. My Father looked at me when it was our turn to say our final goodbye to my Mother. He asked me, "Do you know the most important body part yet, my dear?" I was shocked when he asked me this now.

I always thought this was a game between him and me. He saw the confusion on my face and told me, "This question is very important. It shows that you have really lived in your life. For every body part you gave me in the past, I have told you were wrong and I have given you an example why. But today is the day you need to learn this important lesson." He looked down at me and threw his head to my shoulder and hugged me. I saw his eyes well up with tears.

He said, "My dear, the most important body part is your shoulder."
I asked, "Is it because it holds up my head?"
He replied, "No, it is because it can hold the head of a friend or a loved one when they cry. Everybody needs a shoulder to cry on sometime in life, my dear. I only hope that you have enough love and friends that you will always have a shoulder to cry on when you need it."

Then and there I knew the most important body part is not a selfish one. It is made for others and not for yourself. It is sympathetic to the pain of others.

The origination of this letter is unknown, but it brings a blessing to everyone who passes it on. 

2 comments:

bsc said...

This is certainly touching but it aslo reminds me of how different are two cultures of East and West like
a black cat passes in front of you is good omen in the West and bad omen in the East
Similarly shoulder is seen as good support and apart of the body to offer for support in the Western culture but Offering shoulder in the East can be very different type of "support:, if you see what I mean
But the story given is impressive indeed

mystic-soul said...

Uncle, I didn't think about , but I know what you are talking. :)