Saturday, June 09, 2018

A Slap Which Was Worth Millions

(As told)

I was nine years old when I had a school final results function. I stood first in the class and expected my father to show up that day. I told my mother: 'Dad is so stupid.' When those words came out of my mouth, my mother slapped me very hard. She said: "Did you ever notice that all the other kids in your class have a box of colored pencils with only 12 colors, but you have a box with 24 colored pencils? This is all because your father works in a factory all day".

Italian culture was similar to your Pakistani culture. It was a society where men were supposed to be the breadwinner of the house. My father was a poor but very hardworking man. As a child, I saw my father waking up at 4 in the morning, doing his college assignment, which he attended on Sundays, and going out of the house at 6 in the morning to be a factory worker all day long.

That slap was worth millions.

As I am now a grown-up married woman with two kids, I know when my husband is home after all day of work, he is out there to provide for us. He is not very romantic, but it does not bother me. No! he does not bring flowers and cards for me. He seldom says: I love you. But I know he perspires sweat and blood to keep our household happy.

I needed that slap!

^

2 comments:

bsc said...

Unfortunately American culture has changed so much in the last 50+ years that children peaking bold and even making fun of parents is applauded and considered fun. Sad very sad

mystic-soul said...

Indeed! Now if parents slap children - it is considered child abuse! and kids may end up in foster houses :)