Wednesday, June 13, 2018

RIP Anthony Bourdain


"Perhaps wisdom, at least for me, means realizing how small I am, and unwise, and how far I have yet to go....The more places I see and experience, the bigger I realize the world to be. The more I become aware of, the more I realize how relatively little I know of it, how many places I have still to go, how much more there is to learn. Maybe that’s enlightenment enough -- to know that there is no final resting place of the mind, no moment of smug clarity. 

 I grew up in the leafy green bedroom community of Leonia, New Jersey. I did not want for love or attention. My parents loved me. Neither of them drank to excess. Nobody beat me. God was never mentioned -- so I was annoyed by neither religion nor church nor any notions of sin or damnation..

I used to believe that the human race as a whole was basically a few steps above wolves. ... I have since come to believe -- after many meals with many different people in many, many different places -- that though there is no shortage of people who would do us harm, we are essentially good. That the world is, in fact, filled with mostly good and decent people who are simply doing the best they can. Everybody, it turns out, is proud of their food (when they have it). They enjoy sharing it with others (if they can). They love their children. They like a good joke. Sitting at the table has allowed me a privileged perspective and access that others, looking principally for "the story," do not, I believe, always get. … People, wherever they live, are not statistics. They are not abstractions".

2 comments:

bsc said...

Both suicides Spade and Bourdain affected me with surprise
At this age they are very mature and therefore completely capable of carrying out their plan to kill themselves successfully. This raised questions of preventability (I do not think such persons can be prevented and I call it malignant depression) and a lot of talk is going on which is a good exercise but there it ends That is what bothers me
From what you have written here does it mean he was thinking that he not successful in that task even though we know he was doing such a great job.
It reminded me of the British Surgeon who made a successful reparation of Siamese twins and felt he did not do good job and committed suicide at age 58 And how and why suicide rate is on the increase

zindagi ki diary said...

It affected me too and many people I know.

Unfortunately! we still don't know how to prevent this.