Sunday, July 29, 2018

Calinda

As two nights ago lunar eclipse was all over the news and I recently blogged about Pablo, (our janitor in Chicago apartments) - I recalled another episode.

It was supposed to be my first Eid in Chicago and I planned to go to McCormick center for prayers, and intend to invite a few Muslim friends at my place. As I told him about the use of the possible parking spaces - he was surprised to hear that I am not sure about the actual day of the event as it all depends on the sighting of the moon.

He said: "The word calendar came from the Mexican old culture word Calinda which means moon. If the first calendar can be created based on moon cycle, three thousand years ago, why can't Muslims have their own calendar based on the moon in this scientific age?"

I didn't have an answer to Pablo.

1 comment:

Aabir said...

I am not sure about Calinda meaning moon. Although it is true that Calendar came from Calinda but in Sanskrit, similar word means sun. It is very true that Mexican mythologies revolve around sun and moon, and their great pyramids were build on sun moon revolvation, and they have in total 360 steps counting on all pyramids of Tetihocan (right spelling?) and one old building, I forget the name had 360 windows - which emphasise their lean towards moon, but please recheck reliable reference about Calinda.