Saturday, July 14, 2018

Kafka and the Doll story

The following story is attributed to German short story writer Franz Kafka (here) - who died young at the age of 39 but left deep marks on modern story writing with amalgams of abstract and realities.
The punch line of the following story is very remarkable.
Franz Kafka, the story goes, encountered a little girl in the park where he went walking daily. She was crying. She had lost her doll and was desolate.
Kafka offered to help her look for the doll and arranged to meet her the next day at the same spot. Unable to find the doll he composed a letter from the doll and read it to her when they met.
“Please do not mourn me, I have gone on a trip to see the world. I will write you of my adventures.” This was the beginning of many letters. When he and the little girl met he read her from these carefully composed letters the imagined adventures of the beloved doll. The little girl was comforted.
When the meetings came to an end Kafka presented her with a doll. She obviously looked different from the original doll. An attached letter explained: “my travels have changed me... “
Many years later, the now grown girl found a letter stuffed into an unnoticed crevice in the cherished replacement doll. In summary it said: “every thing that you love, you will eventually lose, but in the end, love will return in a different form.”

3 comments:

bsc said...

Punch line may be different for you but I am blown away by
"My travels have changed me"
This for me opens up several doors one may be obvious of travelling and I have seen four ""cultures'' central India (1933 to 1944) then Panjab (1944 to 1959) then Peshawar for a couple of years then G Britain (1961 to 1968) and USA 1969 to present with four years Midlands and 45 plus years North Carolina.
But as Quran-elHakeem mentions hijra towards truth,so another door may be travel towards different philosophy. different understanding , may be Second Innings in our understanding through your bloggs and likewise some other doors
So I felt this ,line, is very profound.

Mystic said...

Uncle! Indeed what a profound line.

"Musafir hun yaaro! mujeh bas chalte jaana"

bsc said...

Just to complete the story The mention in Qurán majeed is the story of Ibraheem AS in Sura Saaffaat Aya about 99 or thereabout Worth reading the tafseers there