Sunday, January 19, 2020

What is happiness?

Found this beautiful article on the net. Worth sharing. Link for the full article below.

"Perhaps one solution to the quandary of happiness – we want to be happy but not to alienate or hurt ourselves on the path to it – lies in realigning ourselves with the Romantics, who embraced both their joys and sorrows. ‘Ay, in the very temple of Delight,’ wrote John Keats in ‘Ode on Melancholy’ (1819), ‘Veil’d Melancholy has her sovran shrine’. During Passover, Jews discard drops of wine before they drink so as to remember tragedies before embracing pleasures (so, too, when observant Jews marry: to step on a glass is to remember sadness as you embark upon a life of happiness). This embrace of melancholy might be a way out of the lose-lose prison of happiness, whereby pursuing it leads to disappointment and loneliness, and not pursuing it seems to guarantee that it’s never reached. We might never be truly contented unless we embrace our negative feelings. Indeed, negative feelings might not be so negative."


Link: https://aeon.co/amp/essays/how-did-being-happy-become-a-matter-of-relentless-competitive-work

4 comments:

bsc said...

Your excerpt did not excite me so I read the whole article and enjoyed it Here I wish to share a positive experience of my own. Early childhood is associated with breakfast of Chai and paratha (later eggs introduced. I looked forward to paratha very much giving me (conditioning) happiness
It still does but other alternatives also do the same sort leading to my most enjoyable meal of the day being breakfast Pancakes, French toasts etc. do the same I ended up making my own breakfast nearly all my life as my wife does not have the same eagerness for breakfast What has added in my old age is MAKING breakfast for others specially children and grand children I feel happy that when grand children come they order (even before coming) what they want for breakfast. Thats how I realized why I feel happy making breakfast also

bsc said...

I have to share this with you (Unrelated to topic)Since you called me Uncle Sagari
1969 I came to Cincinnati We started a small group of Pakistani association I already had a lot of gray hair and was chosen Chairman
The fellow who called me Babaji at that time recently wrote to me addressing thus: baba Cibcinnatavi

mystic-soul said...

Uncle: This piece of writing reminded me of kala teeka in desi culture.

(Cincinnatavi !!! - Salute to that man - I did get amused with that, and going to share forward)

Hasib Khan said...

hum psl live ka pura sall intazar karty hy