Monday, September 07, 2020

Tennis - a game of life

 I think it was 2017. I was on my way to the UK for a conference. I met a sports correspondent sitting next to me. She specialized in Tennis. Although I grew up watching Cricket and like any sports, I learned my lessons of life equivalating in Cricket, the first time I realized that Tennis is more of psychological sports than a physical one! Now, this was a novel concept and made me interested in Tennis. She gave me two books by Timothy Gallwey on Tennis to enjoy on my trip. 1) The Inner Game of Tennis and 2) The inner Game of Stress. These books were eye-openers.

I recalled these books as Novak Djovick is barred from participating in the US Open after he innocently but angrily hit the ball to a line judge. Now, this is a massive blow to a World-Class so far unbeaten champion in 2020. This is seen in the Tennis world as a crime or sin or an indelible stain, as Tennis asked for very high-level mental discipline during times of stress. 

Now here is the question I asked myself: If I am at glory in my life and a moment due to my one innocent mistake, I lose my reputation: How will I handle that?

I need to see how Novak Dijovick will handle this.

You may watch the incident here: https://youtu.be/Gwr8DffGoRg

4 comments:

bsc said...

Yes it is set back to him but he should have realized it was a major sin he will have to wait and come back to regain his position but will never be able to wash off this sin and I suspect he will not gain popularity as much as he deserves as a world class player
I was never a player or interested in tennis but my younger sis got married into a tennis family My brother-in-law himself was not as good but younger to him played in Wimbledon etc In fact because of him having settled in South Carolina that I picked NC for settling (he is married to a typical southern girl) His children are all Christian so I wanted to be still an bit away from him yet close.
So I have watched tennis more than Cricket on TV from early sisties

Anonymous said...

Yes, uncle, I was not aware of this strict ethical codes of Tennis. It was a pleasant surprise to me that a sport is meant to make you a good human being.

bsc said...

True but I think some of these principles are embedded in every sport to some extent specially team work like in Hocky foorball etc

mystic-soul said...

Agree. It is true