Friday, September 04, 2020

Babul Mora - Neyhar chuto hi jaaye

 Considered ever classic 'bidai" poem, sung many times by classical singers as thumri in raag bharvi and performed with kathak dance (see youtube link at the end of post). It was written by the unfortunate last king of Awadh, Wajid Ali Shah (a sad story of a good man who was born at the wrong time in history). Allegedly, he wrote this as he was banished from Lucknow to Calcutta by English.

بابُل مورا، نیہر چھُوٹو ہی جائے
بابُل مورا، نیہر چھُوٹو ہی جائے
(چار کہار مِل، موری ڈولِیا سجاویں (اُٹھایّں
مورا اَپنا بیگانا چھُوٹو جائے ، بابُل مورا۔۔۔
آںگنا تو پربت بھیو اؤر دیہری بھیی بِدیش

جائے بابُل گھر آپنو میں چلی پیّا کے دیش ، بابُل مورا ۔۔

O My father! I'm leaving home. 
O My father! I'm leaving home. 
 The four (palanquin) bearers lift my palanquin. 
I'm leaving those who were my own. 
 Your courtyard is now like a mountain, and the threshold, a foreign country.

I leave your house, father, I am going to my beloved country.



4 comments:

bsc said...

Aihay kia yad kara diya
Classical Indian music first (or very very early) sung first by K L Sehgal with minimum accompanying instrumentation I think about 1933 or thereabout Yes Bairavin rag and made so popular What a singer he was and his voice a real legend and as so many times we have observed life cut short by alcohol

mystic-soul said...

Yes, uncle, that's how I knew this song by Sehgal Sahab. As I went to youtube to find this thumri from the movie 'street singer' (1938), I saw this dance presentation so posted this.

What a remarkable singer. After your post, I read about him. I didn't know he died so young at the age of 42.

bsc said...

Correction The song was by Saigal 1938 film Street Singer
The music of Films was mostly in tune with classical, subclassical and semiclassical Indian music and so were the accompaniments which in late thirties and early forties started changing to be more away from Indian and indulging in Western tuning and all instruments like Guitar Piano etc.
You all will remember Aana Merri jan Sunday k Sunday which more funny then with musical appeal but it opened the window of westernism. It was much alter when classical was reintroduced with popularity such as Baiju Bawara music by Nawshad saheb merhoom

Zindagi-ki-Diary said...

I was thinking about this. How films portray the change in societies as well as their symbiotic relationship. In the first part of the last century, Indians have a hate and love relationship with English people. Indian cinema evolved classically as a mirror image of society taking influences as the world gets more globalized.