Thursday, September 25, 2008

Psychiatry, Religion and NDE

"As you ask me to pinpoint one thing which I found consistent and different in my practice of psychiatry, let me tell you first that being a psychiatrist and a Muslim together was very interesting for me, particularly after my training in Western institutions. One phenomenon which remained very attractive for me was talking to patients with 'near death experience' (NDE). All those patients consistently described their loved ones who were already dead to be on the other side waiting for them. I found it bizarre that none of many patients recalled seeing an alive person. I always wondered, is it all anoxic brain tissues that give consistent NDE physiology, or is this real metaphysical and spiritual thingy".


Related post: Code Blue

*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

although all the research about near death experience scares the hell out of,the thought that my love ones will be waiting on the other side is quite comforting to me.

Anonymous said...

Ye kuch to hai jis ki paedah-dari hai !