Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Emotional drain and Sulah-e-Hudaibiyah

"Why you paid so much to get out of your business deal. It was ridiculous and stupid for you to do an out-of-court settlement. You would have surely done better with a court decision".


"Looking back, yes, you are right, but I was emotionally sooooo drained. I know I was right and would have won in court, but I just could not take it anymore. I was confused about what to do. One day to relieve my stress, I went to 'Barnes and Noble' .....And I randomly picked a book on Islamic history. I am not a very Muslim person and have reservations about Islam. In any case, I randomly start reading the chapter on "sulah e hudaibiyah." It was an eye-opener. Mohammad's people were sure to win that battle. Everyone put voted to fight and go to war. It is said that his most trusted men, Ali and Umar, were not happy with the settlement idea either. The book says this was the only time they were against the prophet's wishes in history. But Mohammad felt the emotional upheaval and drain on his side, and he did not want a 'win' at the cost of an emotional storm amid anger and a mindset of revenge and ego. He went for settlement which was perceived as giving up. But Allah labeled it "Fateh Mubin," Later, history knows how Mecca fell to Mohammad without a drop of blood. Emotional calm was a better choice than apparent loss. Do I make sense to you?"


*

No comments: