Monday, October 07, 2013

Soul mate

I never bought the concept of a soul mate, though I subscribe to the notion of 'spiritual tribes or families' - 'Soul Mates' but not Soul mates!

It was the year 2005. I was at the transit lounge of Amsterdam when I accidentally met a Chinese guy who was born and raised in the West. As we both started talking to kill time, he told me that he was going to China because he had a dream in which he was told he had a soulmate in some far-flung town/village in China. According to him, he was given all the specifics and details in a dream. He is now curious and wants to go and check out by himself. I didn't believe him. I asked him to email me if it turned out to be true. He promised. Indeed, a month later, he sent me an email confirming his dream was all true. I didn't believe him even then, thinking what a bluff!

Four years later, when I was closing my email account for personal reasons, I came across his email again, and out of curiosity, I sent him an email inquiring about his well-being and whereabouts. He sends me his picture with his 'soul mate.' He had embraced the Buddhist religion and stayed back in China for good! He looked happy in the photo with his hands around his 'soul mate.' I was not sure whether to continue to treat his story as a bluff this time. I just closed the browser.

Allah Jane!

*

No comments: