Friday, December 01, 2017

On Bhagavad Gita and Sufism

Received the following email on one of our previous posts On sufism  (here)

"Aap ka blog kabhi kabhi parhta hun. I am not very religious and like to read about various religions. Ultimately, they all have the same messages and, indeed, the same message of divine light. When I read your post on Sufism, I recalled our Hindu religion's sacred book 'Bhagavad Gita,' which is a chronicle of teaching, conversation, and spiritual experiences of Arjun and his master lord Krishna. He slowly learns to connect our worldly affairs with divinity and elevate his soul via various meditations and yogas like karma-yoga and dhyana-yoga. 


Bhagavad Gita is divided into eighteen chapters, and the eleventh chapter is dedicated to Arjun's experience of divine light, which you described as happening in 'nanoseconds.'


And the final chapter may shock you as it asks for total submission to the divine. I found the same message in Islam, to submit to the will of God. I think sajda in all prayers of Islam attest to the same philosophy, And as much as I have read, the whole of Sufism revolves around submission (correct me if I am wrong).


Keep writing.


A****"



*


2 comments:

bsc said...

It is amazing the writer mentions sajda that we already know as extreme form of submission but just a minute ago I read a poem by Allamah and will write one verse here

SajdoN say teray kia houa SadiyaN guzer gaieen

Duniya teri badal day woh sajda talash ker

I think that is what Arjun learned in that chapter of geeta

mystic-soul said...

As he also said:

Ye aik sajda, jise tu iraN samjhta hai
Hazar sajdoN se deta hai, bande ko nijaat