Thursday, December 14, 2017

Bystander Effect

I was preparing for FLEX (Federal Licensing Exam) during my residency. In the library, I found other residents preparing for the same exam. We used to go to nearby 'Seattle's Best Coffee" to take our break from tedious medical subjects. We had one brilliant resident from Argentina, full of nationalism and Argentinian pride. I admired his strong association with his culture and country.

One day, we were discussing the best definition of "humanity." We all had our ideas. My Argentinian friend had the most unique definition. He said: "If you can defy the bystander effect and jump to the gun to help another human being, you have a humanitarian trait. Delay due to bystander effect takes away the soul of humanity".

We all looked at his face with the same question: "What is the bystander effect?"

He explained: "When a person, group, community or a whole country is in crisis, and you delay to initiate your part of help - in the hope/anticipation that someone else will do it - you are having a bystander effect."

It is now almost 20 years since the above conversation. Today, when I read newspapers and learn about the miseries of people worldwide every day, I question myself - Am I in bystander effect? - What is my responsibility irrespective of what others do?

Not an easy world to live in unless you have a callous apathy toward others.

*

5 comments:

Books and Stilettos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Books and Stilettos said...

We see this Bystander effect on the roads almost daily ...when someone is walking in 20 degrees winter weather and Cars just keep passing by No one ever stops to ask if that person needed a ride or something ?
I have stopped few times when I can because sometimes its hard to stop with all the traffic behind you ...but whenever I did I was able to help that person somehow .Funny thing is if you mention this to people and say we should do this more often I am told "One day you are going to get murdered by someone " Hmmm makes me wonder ...This is the kind of world we live in now ?

Kuch karna chaho tou maro ... kuch na kar sako ... tou guilt say maro :)

mystic-soul said...

Books :: It's a very hard world to live in a sense that every day we read weird stories in newspapers. I think, our judgments and acts of life depends a lot on our mood or circumstances that day.

Andekhi quwatton ke ghere main
Insaan phir bhi katherey main

bsc said...

I guess you are right Mystic I think there are situations where must do something and others where we are better off as bystander like it has has been said
agar beenum keh nabina wa chah ast
wagar khamosh me beenum gunah ast

Simple persian but will translate If I see a blind man walking to a well and do not speak out it is a sin

mystic said...

I have been through such dilemma many times