Monday, August 10, 2020

Why we get old

(A conversation with a 92 years old COVID patient)

"So what you are telling me, I assume you do not want any chest compression, electric shock, machine to breathe for you, or any artificial measure or medication to prolong your life. What I am saying is not to attempt to resuscitate you, what we call DNR?"

"Yes, doctor, I lived my life. Despite all troubles, I already enjoyed my life. Now it doesn't matter; I lived for 90 years or 900 years. I worked at Las Vegas as a backstage worker. I think, onwards, it would be just a stretch of the show. For a long time, I wondered why we need to get old? Now I know, the old hood is a blessing. It makes acceptance of death easy. It let you wonder about life - with all its beauty and its cruelty. It makes you let things go. It let you forgive all humans who did wrong to you. It makes you value love, and time people shared with you out of their own time. In the end, it makes you smile. Yes, please let me go peacefully".

2 comments:

bsc said...

That reminds me of a 96 yrs old patient of mine. I may have written about him before During early days of CT scanning Lot of brain abnormalities were seen as it was so easy to see on CT of brain He was relatively well preserved 96 yr old and I found a brain tumor on his CT I started talking to him about surgical removal and his chances of life after that but he said to me
"Doctor I have lived my life and now looking for exit why do you want me to get treatment for tumor I am happy we found a reason to finish this life"
Not exact dialogue but something like that

Aly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.