Friday, August 14, 2020

Difference in lifestyles of West and East

 As I took a much-needed break while covering sickest of sick COVID patients with ventilators, ECMOs, and tons of drips - I entered our breakroom looking to get some chai. The only reason I am surviving and keeping my sanity intact while working with these patients is an unlimited supply of chai. Thanks to a few desi nurses around me. As I settled on the chair, took out the mail I bought from home to see my pending bills, one nurse chimed as she handed the mug full of khusbudar ilachi wali chai,

"America aur hamare mulkon main saari zindagi bus 6 lafzon pe ghumti hai

America main: Get the bill, pay the bill

Aur udhar apne India main: chai bun gai, pi ke jaana"

2 comments:

bsc said...

Mawlana AbulKalam Azad said (was not about alcohol) but Chai
چھٹتی نہیں ہے منہ سے یہ ظالم لگی ہوئ
But it is true we cannot imagine life without Chai and then khushboo wali ilaichi to sonay peh suhaga
I have a lot to say about coffee because coming to America from England I felt that Americans do not know tea (I still hold that view) and you have to make your own tea The resturants dont know the difference between a horse and a donkey so I started Coffee
Then I was struck with PAT disorder and had to give up Coffee Lived a miserable life for about 11 months then restarted but tea has somewhat less caffiene so I am back at chai

mystic-soul said...

Despite in the US for more than 25 years, I can't imagine a life without chai. I do like coffee but not like Americans do black coffee. I prefer it to be boiled with milk as we say desi coffee.