Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Salmon Run

 Salmon Run is one of the most intriguing phenomena of nature. I was first told about this by one of my patients, a professional fisherman in the pacific ocean. I didn't believe him. But when Google came, I learned he was right. Salmon can go as far as Japan but will return to spawn at her birthplace. She will spawn, become colorless, and act like a dead, so her eggs stay protected (big fishes don't come near/eat dead fish). 

Once her children leave for the river, she will die at her birthplace.

*





3 comments:

bsc said...

I was introduced to Zoology with Amoeba but I fell in love with the subject so much that I almost made it my career Being a Physician was however more overpowering
In my BSc classes I noted that there is a much more beautiful world of animal kingdom that exists in the oceons and so I am not surprised at this account but just wonder about the amazing intelligence that exists in these animals

mystic-soul said...

I never believed in such a fascinating thing until I confirmed from various sources.

EyeAre said...

This is true for whales and turtles too...