Sunday, February 11, 2007

Erica


Since I started this job, Erica was always nasty to me. I was a typical pakistani FOB and Erica was a typical american girl. I was unable to figure out, where is the friction. I thought either its my accent or simply her personality or sometime I felt it as pure racism. It took 2 years before small interactions made us friend.

And one day, I was shocked when she said to me in Urdu "Aaj tum ghar se lunch nahi laaye" !

"Excuse me", I said, "Can you speak Urdu ?"

And that sunny day on our lunch break, we sat on the stairs. Her first sentence was: "I hated you all Desis for long time but now I am coming to the term that all brown skins are not the same". She told me her story," I was 19 when I fall in love with a Pakistani guy from Lahore. He was illegal but it didn't bother me. And one day, he was caught while driving without license and was deported back to his country. I went behind him to Lahore. You will never know what it takes for a sidhi sadhi gori to go against her very conservative christian parents and to go to a country like Pakistan all alone. I married him. I stayed in Lahore for 3 years while I filed his immigration so I can bring him back to USA. I fall in love with spicy food, dresses, wedding and innocent pakistani girls, who were no different from american girls in heart and I loved learning Urdu. Finally once papers get done, we were back in USA.....And you know what.... that Son of a B**** was just interested in Green Card. After a while, he divorced me and later had a grand wedding with a nice pakistani virgin girl. I could have made him deport again but I didn't do it....And then she said in urdu...tum desi lurke samjhte ho ke sub gori lurkian slut hoti hain, unhe use karo aur phenk do...".

She was busy eating her sandwich. I saw little tears trickling through her eyelashes. I excused myself to go to restroom as I felt like puking on myself and my fellow Pakistani larke!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a heartbreaking story. =/
And you wrote that last paragraph so well.

We are all so fragile, and yet we hurt one another much too easily.

mystic-soul said...

Thank you. I found your blog interesting too and added in my blogroll.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I'm honored. =) Much appreciated.

Baraka said...

*sigh*

What a sad story - I'm glad she was able to move beyond the experience to see that it's one's heart that makes us who we are, not the color of our skin or our nationality.

Anonymous said...

I hope we make less and less of such examples

Aisha said...

What blog roll??

Anonymous said...

Blog roll is my daily blogs I read....its not in my side bar but it is in my computer's fav.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to puke there too. :( I'd personally like to have the green cards of all such guys cancelled. We should create a procedure.

Anonymous said...

I have heard this story many times about men from every country marrying girls to get green cards and then divorcing them soon afterward. When I was a young man, I knew a American woman who married an American boy. She put him through law school, and the day he learned he passed the bar exam, he left her and divorced her soon afterwards. Some men are like that, and take advantage of the love and dreams and hopes of women, not just for green cards. A sad testimony. Well, a broken heart can heal, but a heel will always he broken.

Ya Haqq!

Anonymous said...

This is sad, mystic and it is sad because it is so true. I'm embarrassed.

mezba said...

Heart breaking, yet very common story.

Stereotypes of white girls as "easy" seems to be so rampant too.

Baji said...

Wow, what a story, thanks for sharing. He should be deported!!!!!! How he must have changed her life.

Yes, stories of white girls being so easy is true. I found that even sharing what I thought was innocent Americana experiences of dating and having boyfriends causes so much shame (the reason I removed my last post).

Surviving said...

This kind of stuff makes me so angry. It makes things so much harder for those that aren't like that. I recently found out that a friend's ex-husband (who is also an acquaintance of my husband) was actually married to his wife back home the entire time they were married. He would go back for visits for several months every year to see his kids, or so he said. He recently had another baby. I don't think my friend knows about any of this. I'm so happy she divorced him. I don't ever want him in my house and I definitely don't want to see the lying jerk.

mystic-soul said...

Thanks for black sheeps and devils within our own community. I thank all of you for commenting and understaing the post.

Koonj - I read your post and agree with AH Green Cards

Irving - thanks for sharing.

Suroor - I am sure you know many such examples.

Mezba - Is that same in Toronto too? as I believe all desis arrive legal there.

Baji - Being an American girl, I am sure your can feel the most !!. I have respect for you girls to accept our culture despite such examples.

Surviving - thats another S*** going on that getting married despite been already married.