Friday, January 23, 2009

The Catcher In The Rye

The Catcher In The Rye, written by J.D.Salinger, was first published in 1951 and has since remained an all-time favorite American literature novel (so far sold 65 million copies). The novel's title, The Catcher In The Rye, is words taken from Robert Burns's poem 'If a Body Catches a Body Comin' Through the Rye.'


The plot is straightforward. It's the story of a teenager who is confused, angry, and lost. He has been kicked out of many well-known schools. This time, he is axed from an elite school called "Pencey." He worries the news will reach his home by Tuesday, so he wants to land there on Wednesday to avoid his parent's anger. He leaves Pencey on Saturday night and spends the next two days in New York City, and describes the hypocrisy of the world around him (phony people, as he says).


Beneath the plot, the central theme is "If little kids are playing in a rye field near the edge of some crazy cliff, and if they fall from the cliff, a catcher may appear from somewhere, catch and save them." Often, young blood feels lost, but if someone is there to help and guide them - it becomes the real catcher in the rye."


Holden Caulfield decides to escape from the phony world but stays against his wish to save his ten-year-old baby sister Phoebe.


If you like dry humor and sarcasm and appreciate the follies of life, you must read this novel. It helped me to understand my teenage psychological confusion and the new generation growing in front of me.


You can read the whole novel here

*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lot written on this novel and you can google 10,000 reviews and essays. This book was in my college course and what I understood, her sister saved him and was catcher in the rye, instead of Holden himself - but I guess thats the beauty of this novel that it is not factual and written from subjective mind and every reader makes his own subjective conclusion at end.

I remember, this novel influenced me greatly and we had long hours of discussions.

Anonymous said...

AF..its interesting..I really thought of what you said...

What I understood..His sister was such a playful child but as soon as she heard of her brother's leaving, she was about to breakdown, and caulfield realizing and remembering 'cather in the rye' poem, decides to stay back and save his sister.

But otherway around make sense too....

Interesting !!

moazzam sheikh said...

this is the book i accidentally discovered on local train in san francisco and i think my belated journey to becoming a writer started from stumbling into the catcher, like an aimless fly.

-moazzam sheikh

Anonymous said...

Dear Moazzam Sheikh

I am humbled and prileged with your comment on my blog. I have read your book "The Idol Lover and Other Stories of Pakistan" I was impressed with most stories. (and its hard to impress me!!)

Please keep visiting and please blog as it would be rewarding to read you.