Monday, December 14, 2015

Famous Blue Raincoat

Read or hear below lyrics of the following song: "Famous Blue Raincoat" 

It's a letter from one man to another man in a love triangle. I pondered for a while. It is actually a thank you letter from a man to another man as he took care of the dilemma of a woman (his wife) who loved 2 men at a time! A unique angle of a lover's triangle. 



It's four in the morning, the end of December
I'm writing you now just to see if you're better
New York is cold, but I like where I'm living
There's music on Clinton Street all through the evening

I hear that you're building your little house deep in the desert
You're living for nothing now, I hope you're keeping some kind of record
Yes, and Jane came by with a lock of your hair
She said that you gave it to her, That night that you planned to go clear

Did you ever go clear?

Ah, the last time we saw you, you looked so much older
Your famous blue raincoat, was torn at the shoulder

You'd been to the station to meet every train,
and You came home without Lili Marlene
And you treated my woman to a flake of your life
And when she came back she was nobody's wife

Well I see you there with the rose in your teeth
One more thin gypsy thief  Well, I see Jane's awake

She sends her regards

And what can I tell you my brother, my killer, What can I possibly say?
I guess that I miss you, I guess I forgive you, I'm glad you stood in my way

If you ever come by here, for Jane or for me
Well, your enemy is sleeping, and his woman is free

Yes, and thanks, for the trouble you took from her eyes
I thought it was there for good so I never tried

 And Jane came by with a lock of your hair
She said that you gave it to her, That night that you planned to go clear

Sincerely, L Cohen

No comments: