Saturday, August 13, 2016

On "A Woman at Age 60"

F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote in 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' that: "...Twenty-five is too worldly-wise; thirty is apt to be pale from overwork; forty is the age of long stories that take a whole cigar to tell; sixty is - oh, sixty is too near seventy; but fifty is the mellow age. I love fifty. "


Here is another opinion.


I think 60 is the best age - for a woman. For a woman, it is a balanced age of libido, calmness, experiences, health, and emotional intelligence. 


I had my menarche at age 13 and my first kiss at age 14. Yes! Girls are stupid to remember that. I lost my virginity to the first man I truly loved at age 17, and I have no regret for it. For a brief period, I experimented with drugs, sex, tobacco, and binge drinking at the dorm. I had my share of heartbreaks, relationship setbacks, crying spells, and divorce due to physical abuse. I married again to another good man. I raised three children like a typical suburban momma!


But as I continued to age, I slowly became a spectator to life events. I start enjoying my time with myself. 


Though on the way, menopause was a big bummer. For a while, I lost myself. I felt useless. Kids were grown and gone. My husband had lost interest in me and was in his mid-life crisis. I felt like a useless thrown-away tampoon. It took not months but years before the dust settled down. As I recovered, I started enjoying my time with reading, shopping, classes at the gym, dinner and a fine glass of wine with friends, book club, playing bridge, and taking care of the house and my health. Now I keep all my appointments with my doctor and dentist. I still call my relatives and send them cards. But I don't need or expect the same in return.


Please don't take me wrong. I still love and value my husband. We travel together, and I genuinely enjoy it. But now I feel I don't need him. Kids may call or may not call. Thanksgivings and Christmas' are just dates on a calendar. If they visit, I adore their visits and love hugging my grandchildren. I do enjoy their pictures on Facebook and answer their texts. I still sleep in the same bed as my husband. But I don't need any of them anymore.


At age 60 woman achieves a kind of grace, a calmness and enjoys a strange drunkenness. Very happy and very content. 


I doubt poor men enjoy the same bliss.



No comments: