Thursday, February 21, 2008

Tipping the change


Zindagi main kuch log aap ko thori der ke liye milte hain magar ta-hayat ghere naqoosh chor jaate hain.


Meri aik adat se log aksar nalaaN rehte hain. Whenever I buy something from fast food, Starbucks, etc., I put all 'change' in the Tip bottle, though 'tipping' at such places is not a norm, at least in the USA. Real addiction is to drop coins in the bottle as soon as you get in your hand.


Jub main ne blog likhna shuru kia to mujhe 'posts' likhne ka ziyada idea nahi tha. Pehle-pahel ki aik be-dhangi si post main ne apne dost 'Ammar' ke liye likhi thi. Ammar aik aesa dost tha jo meri zindagi main sirf 2 baras ke liye aaya magar ghere naqoosh chor gaya. Haramzade ki kai aadatain aaj tuk jaan se lagi hui hain aur usi main se aik adat saari 'change' tip ker dene ki hai.


Jub bhi hum coffee peene nikalte - Ammar never allowed me to pay as he always acted like a 'senior' and 'big brother.' After I got comfortable with him, I asked: "Why do you do that?, For 7 dollars of coffee, you pay the full ten bucks". Us ne mujh se kaha: "Try out. I can't explain. But it will make you a better human being"!


And indeed, I feel that adherence to that habit played a role in making me a better human being. Try out! I promise you will not go wrong. Remember, real addiction is to drop coins in the bottle as soon as you get in your hand.


Aaj bhi jub apne bachhe ko hur sham ice-cream khilane nikalta hun to Ammar bohut yaad aata hai!


*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha..sahi kaha :D Mager aik aur cheez bhi try karain. It'll take a bit more energy and time mager its worth just as much. Jub koi coffee lain ya ice cream..jitna bhi change aye woh kahain dhoond kar kissi charity box main dalain ya kissi homeless individual ko dain.

Its like that game children play when sharing things..one for me...one for You :)

Anonymous said...

Agree !

But mostly, we are so lazy we don't make effort and this is quick, easy and addictive.