Friday, November 21, 2008

A note on Dr. Abdus Salam

(A note on Dr. Abdus Salam 12th death anniversary)

Dr. Abdus Salam ko kaun nahi janta. He won nobel prize in Physics for his work in Electro-Weak Theory.

After he won nobel prize, Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi, immediately invited him to India but he replied: "First I want to go to my own homeland, though I have strong desire to visit India but only for one reason - to see my primary school mathematics teacher - whose enthusiasm and encouragement for subject lead me to nobel prize".

Jise bachpun main achhe ustad mil jaayain woh bare Khush naseeb hote hain.



2 comments:

bsc said...

Dr. Abdus-Salam is said to be "Qadiani" or such but I have no info for confirming or otherwise of this thing. I remember that when he first received this news he exclaimed "Al-Hamdulillah".
It is for Allah to judge him so, I dont say anything.
I lived in the same hostel where he did a few years earlier and his servant was the same as mine when I lived. So I had lot of "news" about him. he was an avid chess player and was not known to be a book worm. My English prof.(Government College Lahore) was always fondly recalling his English paper that he marked. He, at that time held record marks (I have no info if these records are broken), in BA (452 out of 500) and MA (Math) 600 out of 600 (May be others have 'equalled' this score). I was told he solved all problems where he was supposed to have done "any 5 out of 6" and he said "see any five out of six". May be there are exaggerations but I am talking about 1951-52 when he had not yet gotten the Nobel Prize.

Anonymous said...

Thank you !!!

Interesting personal window in one great person's life !