Sunday, April 03, 2011

On Remembering Names!

Lets call him Mani. Mani is extremely popular at my workplace despite his outspoken attitude. He can drive anyone nut with his "diarrhea of mouth". It took me almost 5 years (yes I am not that smart!) to eventually realize what make "Everybody loves Mani"? Mani is soo good and I mean 'sooo good' in remembering people first and last name. There is no one remotely at workplace whom he don't know by first name and I work at an extremely big place.

I am not bad, I am bad up to stupid and ignorant level in remembering people's name. Try to learn this trick and let me assure you, people will love you despite your flaws - as Dale Carneige said: "Har kisi ke kaan ko usko apne naam ki dhun meethi lagti hai"*.


*Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language - How to Win Friends and Influence People - Part 2

2 comments:

bsc said...

Very true and you may be surprised by my 'experience'. When I was in College (Medical) our friend wanted to serve as General Secretary of the Union so the elections and campaigning started. My friend was a good speaker but would use "unparliamentary" words without much hesitation. We were in 4th year and I advised him to memorize 1st and 2nd year students names so that he could address them by first name. He got the list from the college clerk and did a excellent job. Need less to say he won

mystic said...

I am amazed how much difference it can make....