Saturday, October 08, 2011

On Disease and Spirituality!

Mind blowing Russian author Fyodor Dostoevsky (1821-1881) was an epileptic. Its interesting how sometime minds are blessed:

"For several instants I experience a happiness that is impossible in an ordinary state, and of which other people have no conception. I feel full harmony in myself and in the whole world, and the feeling is so strong and sweet that for a few seconds of such bliss one could give up ten years of life, perhaps all of life. I felt that heaven descended to earth and swallowed me. I really attained god and was imbued with him. All of you healthy people don't even suspect what happiness is , that happiness that we epileptics experience for a second before an attack."

I am not going into any religious arguments here but it is said that Prophet Mohammad used to have similar attack before or at time of revelation from Allah!

5 comments:

bsc said...

No the prophet has no history of such attacks. In fact the description of his condition during Wahi is well-preserved. It is Dostovski who said that of the prophet comparing that heavenly happiness with that of Meraj-un-nabi. You are mixing up the two things. Meraj or Isra is NOT happiness description.
I am not writing about this subject more here but as a neurologist I have done a lot of study of Wahy.

mystic said...

Uncle please enlighten us more....Please write a post on this thing for us....

I send you an email too....

Shaan said...

Interesting topic please share with mee too....

Hasnain Zafar said...

Prophet nature of Wahi is quite different Please see the relevent text its useful for your future post

mystic-soul said...

Hasnain Zafar Sahib: Can you please guide me to some credible references in this regard? I tried google but it was more chaos than real reading!