Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Maintain life!

I work in an academic institution. I work in an environment where competition is cutthroat. People work hard. People want recognition. They want to get published in high-impact journals. Knowing this background - let me tell you about one physician I know. Let him call Dr. S.


Dr. S is a kind of physician who rarely publishes or has an interest in running a trial. I have never seen him without scrub. He is always at the bedside. I have seen him working 48 hours straight. He is one of the finest clinicians I have ever come to know. If I get stuck with the patient, I call him to rescue me, and he never fails me! He never asked for a promotion. He never asks for a spot in the speakers' panel. He said something one day, which became an integral part of my philosophy as a physician. He said: "I don't want to be a star; I just want to maintain life!"


In this world where everyone is in the rat race, I am lucky to have someone teaching me this important distinction of work ethics!


*

1 comment:

bsc said...

I also considered myself in that category and avoided accepting asstt. prof. position in California and my mentor agreed. I know that "cut-throat" struggle and I hate it.