Sunday, February 07, 2016

On "Chemical Dependence"

I blogged various times on depression, schizophrenia and other so called "mental illnesses". One of my friend is courageously fighting bouts of depression and wants "not to be dependent on chemicals", and trying to wean himself off anti-depressants - probably as it is a stigma in our cultures and societies. But more and more we are learning that these are not psychological diseases but are physiological illnesses. And in the end, we all are dependent on chemicals as our symbiotic relationship with nature. From ayurvedic and homeopathic medicine to modern pharmaceutical treatment - or from addiction of coffee to simple massage of warm water - we are, in one way or another, dependent on chemicals.

My finest lesson came from a 80 years old patient in clinic who came to find a new doctor as his previous GP died: I asked him: "how he made it to this age without any major medical problem, and still looks 60?". He replied: "My previous GP was smart enough to know that my only problem is insomnia, and he was gracious enough to prescribe me a sleeping pill for every night. I slept well in last 50 years and it kept me away from other illnesses".

Ibne Maryam huwa kare koi
Mere Dard ki dawa kare koi

I don't want any other Mani in our communities !!!!  Here

Related posts ; Here, Here

3 comments:

mehnaz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mehnaz said...

I had read a deeply touching, and an unforgettable book few years ago 'an unquiet mind' by Kay Redfield Jamison. A memoir of a her struggle with bipolar disorder-very honest account. She is also a Psychiatrist and a prof. She writes' I have found it to be seductively complicated a distillation both of what is finest in our natures, and of what is most dangerous.
There is a tv series 'perception' I liked a lot -its about a neuropsychiatrist suffering from schizophrenia( he assists the FBI in solving complex cases) and teaches
About mind/psyche in a very interesting way, all the while dealing with his own pain so gracefully.


mystic-soul said...

Many many good writers - including Tolstoy, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Earnest hemingway, Manto, Mustaf Zaidi - and many many more - all their life battled mental illnesses or addictions. Probably that what make them good writers.

Thank you for your comment.
BTW, I am still waiting in mail - your recommended letters of Khalil Jibran