Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Thriving or Surviving?

Last week, I had to travel for a work. Although, I gave up on self-help type books but was unable to find any other book so picked Matthew Kelly's "The seven Level of Intimacy" for airline read. (here). Overall, it is a very mediocre book, but one section of this book was relatively out of box, and talks about the value of 'discipline' in life. He equates discipline as a basic building block of integrity, honesty and commitment. Just a quote: "Freedom is not the ability to do whatever you want. Freedom is the strength of character to do what is good, noble, and right. Freedom is the ability to choose and celebrate the-best-version-of-yourself in every moment. Freedom without discipline is impossible".

He asked an interesting question: "Are you thriving? Or are you just surviving?"

4 comments:

Anony said...

>> Freedom without discipline is impossible

During summer break of my undergraduate days, I did nothing except sleeping for long hours and wasting time on the internet. Did not feel good about it!! There were few of my hostel-mates who maintained their routine (getting up early in the morning and doing whatever they had planned for that day) and in the end, they seemed to be most satisfied with their utilization of "free time."

bsc said...

I happen to be in the "surviving"mode
Anyway I looked at the title of the book
Ärt of loving and the joy of being loved"
I feel that Joy of being loved should be qualified by addition :by the beloved"Similarly Art of loving"may be said, ""the beloved but there it may not be as essential.
I have no "proof"but just my feeling

mystic-soul said...

Uncle: "agar, Ärt of loving and the joy of being loved by the beloved"
, ho jaaye to - sab kuch hi sanwar jaaye

mystic-soul said...

Anony: It took me long time to learn the worth of saying:

"Early to bed, early to rise
makes man
healthy, wealthy and wise"