Tuesday, October 10, 2017

On "raising grandkids"

Unfortunate or fortunate, it is a norm in the western world for young immigrant couples to bring their parents here to help them in child care of their kids, as childcare is costly in western countries. Generally, it is stereotyped as a bad thing that older grandparents are getting abused.


But everyone does not have the same view. One Grandma (Dadi) made the following comment to me: "I know, my son and daughter-in-law view me as a money saver, but for me, this is a chance to raise my grandkids with important values. Also, they are learning their cultural language. Child care services don't raise kids; they babysit them on an hourly basis. I feel honored, privileged, and happy to raise my grandchildren properly. There is a difference between babysitting a child and raising a child."


*

2 comments:

bsc said...

Thyis dadi is absolutely right. Ask somebody like me who is a dada and misses grandchildren so very much as my own children moved into their own homes and are far away from us. As our own driving and movements are getting less and less easy, missing them gets worse. My own feelings. I miss my poti/pota/nawasa so much that when shopping around I see a child of such age clinging to their parents/grandparents , makes me feel like I go and wish that child, "I love you", something others may not tolerate or even misinterpret
We are preparing to go see them this week and I cant wait to hug them and see them happy with smiles. When we meet we completely ignore our own children and express all our combined love only to these special gifts of the Almighty

mystic-soul said...

As they say: "asal se sood ziyada piyara hota hai"