Monday, October 30, 2017

Two contrasting views on work ethics

When we were growing up back home as well as while in residency here, it was strongly infused in us that loyalty to your work place is a remarkable work value. We were taught to grow up with institution, develop deep roots at work place, and it would be ideal to stay life long at one work place/institution.

But as lot of things are changing around us - as bookstores shutting down and e-books are taking their place, cabs have been taken over by an app (uber), hotels are threatened by Airbnb, and several other examples - I have seen a shift in work ethics and human behaviors too.

In the beginning I was taken aback, but I guess, I am accepting it as another opinion rather than an unethical value. Particularly, since tech industry has become main stream, staying at workplace for many many years is not seen as a virtue, rather a weakness. If you are staying more than 4/5 years at one company, you are a dinosaur who can't evolve! If you have worked in three companies over 7/8 years, you may be more valuable as you know how to cash your worth as well as your ability to work in changing/different environments. Company may see you as an adaptable and a courageous 'employee' (just another employee! Ha!!). You may be seen as a person who knows how to negotiate.

Don't feel shocked. I did! but I learned: Right or wrong - this is the reality of today's corporate world.


2 comments:

Books and Stilettos said...

I prefer to be a dinosaur but God I have a gypsy Rooh in me or something ...I get bored easily - Changed plenty of jobs (5-6) in 10 yrs till I found something that could hold me :) I want to become a Dinosaur now on this current job wish me luck !

mystic-soul said...

I am already a dinosaur with 12 years at same place