Monday, November 06, 2017

On 'Sharp Dressing'

(You may find the following post very superficial - but hey! We all have to deal with it).


Typically hailing from a lower middle class in a third-world country, almost all my life, I carried the flaw of 'not having a good sense of sharp dressing.' I was aware of my fault for not understanding the difference between 'branded products' and regular wear stuff. I never understood the difference between an untucked shirt and a tucked-in shirt. I always wondered about a men's suit's right shoulder width/length. I had my share of moments of embarrassment in gatherings. And the list goes on with shoes, jeans, sweaters, jackets, perfumes, hairstyles/gels etc. 


- But I never let this take over my sanity, psych, and life. I often rudely ignored some advice from friends/cousins even if they were appropriate and suitable.


As I grew in my profession, I had to learn the proper dress for different occasions. Eventually, I had to concur with many of my GQ friends' opinion that 'sharp dressing keeps your brain sharp and optimist.' And right or wrong, you may have to give some importance to the myth or social notion that - if a person is a shabby dresser, he may also be shabby in his relationships and life goals! (I think this is a hefty-handed statement).


Disclaimer: I am neither a metrosexual nor desire to be.


*



4 comments:

bsc said...

Subject of my choice. There is difference between Sharp dressing, proper dressing and expensive dressing and each has its proponents. I have lived in three or four different cultures India Pakistan, England (including Scotland) and America ( etc. meaning in each country there is north and south and have seen both) However I still feel shrp dressing is a personal matter. As for "heavy handed statement, I agree with you and there is only partial truth.
Just a reminder of Sa'adi Sheerazi story (hope you all remember about him trying to dip his clothes in the saalan in his host's house)
I remember the styles changing with the Beatles and then other singing groups and over ten years I learnt a new term "Psychedelic" and color changes and even doctors becoming poor in dressing and being "scruffy" was the fashion. I lived thru all and now wearing necktie is unusual and tucking shirts in pants is or leaving the out is all the same. So it appears what you practiced all your life the world is following your principal now. Zamana aapki ada ko aaj samajh raha hay
and I think you should take it with pride

mystic-soul said...

Uncle: You put everything together so well, just in first line: " There is difference between Sharp dressing, proper dressing and expensive dressing and each has its proponents."

Uncle: Sometime I smile, when I see trashed jeans as a fashion.

Books and Stilettos said...

As a patient I don't like to go to any doctors who are dressed
poorly and look disheveled on the verge of homelessness (ah there are too many of them around here in my neck of the woods ) - Jo khud apna khiyal nahi rakh sakta wo mera Khiyal kia karay ga ....?? LOL

As a physician I always get compliments from others that I am always dressed nicely And patients seem to see it that way too ..Its just your choice in my opinion its how you want the world around you to see you ..I want them to look at me and see a person who takes pride in herself !

Nothing against shabby dressers but why Don't most docs dress better ? especially Females !!! Good lord am so shallow :)

mystic-soul said...

Books:: You made me laugh...lol